Engineers beware of QLD

Guest Count Zero

Guest Count Zero

I would just like to warn any Engineers thinking of moving to Queensland.

In Queensland it is illeagal to work as an Engineer unless you are a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) or are directly supervised by one. It is a costly and time consuming exercise so unless you know for sure that you will be supervised by one do not take a job as an Engineer. It is you as an individual that will be prosecuted not the company so beware.

Engineers Australia administer the scheme but you will find that you will also need to splash out a lot of money to join them first, although apparently thats not a requirement!. They also have very rigid membership criteria that does not recognise work based learning so unless you have a 4 year engineering degree forget it.

My advice to Engineers wanting to move to Australia is to think very hard about Queensland and if you still want to practice here make sure that you can either survive for at least 6 months without work or work for a company that has an RPEQ to supervise you.

Only Queensland have been crazy enough to implement this restrictive policy and hopefully it will soon be thrown out. Many RPEQ engineers are very unhappy with the arrangement because they pay money to become an RPEQ then they get prosecuted by the same body they have paid the money to if they or someone supervised by them make a mistake.

The policy is also damaging the QLD economy by restricting the inflow of talented Engineers from outside QLD.

I was lucky enough to find a company with an RPEQ but should an engineer from the UK with over 35 years experience with some of the top companies need to be supervised? They do in QLD!

Is there a way of checking if a company has an RPEQ other than asking them? Thanks for this inof we are due to go to Queensland in April and my Husband is a Civil Engineer. He has a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering. Does this mean he shoudl join Engineers Australia? His quals were checked by them and he has a number that they gave us to prove it.

Guest Count Zero
Is there a way of checking if a company has an RPEQ other than asking them? Thanks for this inof we are due to go to Queensland in April and my Husband is a Civil Engineer. He has a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering. Does this mean he shoudl join Engineers Australia? His quals were checked by them and he has a number that they gave us to prove it.

I think the only way is to ask, they will certainly be well aware of the issue. Your OH should be able to get membership of EA and providing he has plenty of experience he will get RPEQ. Its a bit easier if your already chartered as the process is almost identical to chartership. It is however long and expensive if your not already chartered.

Its a total joke really that highly qualified engineers should have to jump through these hoops just to be able to work in Queensland. Given the huge skills shortage here you would think the government would have had the sense to see that this was a bad idea.

Hi Count Zero,

I'm a positively assessed by Eng Aus Mechanical Engineer and hoping to move to Townsville, QLD asap. I'd like to work in the mining industry there, even though I've been working in the construction business for the last 7 years in my country. I reckon that in the QLD mining things are less tight as you say that they are around the rest of the state, due to their never ending shortage of people. Am I wrong?

Guest Count Zero
Hi Count Zero,

I'm a positively assessed by Eng Aus Mechanical Engineer and hoping to move to Townsville, QLD asap. I'd like to work in the mining industry there, even though I've been working in the construction business for the last 7 years in my country. I reckon that in the QLD mining things are less tight as you say that they are around the rest of the state, due to their never ending shortage of people. Am I wrong?

Sure there are jobs in mining but you will still find the same issues that I have mentioned with RPEQ. However most mining companies or consultants are quite big outfits so they should have other RPEQ's to supervise you.

Archived